If you new to this blog, this Circle Text and Fake Reflection in Blender 3D post is the second part of emoji tutorial series. The first article is to show beginner user how to trace image references in blender, and now we will apply a circle text and fake reflection on emoji object.
How to Add Circle Text in Blender 3D:
Before we add a text, we need to make its path first. Shift+C so your 3d cursor place in the middle of grid.
1. To make the path press Shift+A —> Curve —> Circle. Now you have a new bezier circle.
2. Now add a text object and enter edit mode to change the default text to your own text. To make it follow our path, go to text data slot and on text on curve choose your path bezier, mine will be beziercircle.001.
3. To align the text on center, change the paragraph parameter like mine below:
4. To add some 3d effect, change the value of extrude and bevel depth on geometry option.
Here’s my final render without material yet.
Making Fake Reflection in Blender 3D:
For material, this time we will make a reflection that look like a stainless steel effect. One of the common method is to use mirror material with raytrace, but the render process is quiet long. Alternative method is using refection material from an image. That’s why it’s called fake reflection.
1. We will only apply fake reflection on text and emoji face. You can use basic material for its mouth, eye, and brow so we can see the differences. Select the face object and create a new material and texture. After you upload your image on texture slot, change the Coordinate to Reflection; Blend: Overlay.
Back in material editor, you can play with diffuse and specular color to get a contrast color with other part of emoji. Apply the same material to text object. For background wall, make sure the texture is dark. My render result is like this.
You of course can play around on texture and material slot. You can change the blend option, diffuse color, etc until you receive a result you looking for. I hope this blender tutorial is useful. Thank you for reading and give me feedback below!.